Saturday 8 March 2014

The UAE - What I'll Miss

Home in Calgary!
We returned home to Calgary last week, leaving the balmy warmth of Abu Dhabi for the frigid cold of Alberta. It was the coldest and longest winter anyone can remember: minus 30C, minus 40 with the wind-chill, and this at the beginning of March.

One of my first acts was to fill up my car. Thankfully there was no line up but, although gas was four times the price, the thing I noticed most was I had to pump my own gas – it had been more than a year. For the first time I realised what ‘SELF SERVICE’ means: ‘NO SERVICE’.

Dubai's tasteful Atlantis Hotel Lobby
I needed to get a part for the dishwasher so I headed out. I saw the store I needed as I drove past it on the wrong side of the road. So, at the next light I did a U-turn. This caused consternation as I sat in the intersection; cars blasted their horns at me, as their drivers scowled. Traffic in UAE couldn’t get anywhere without U-Turns, they often have their own lane.

And, I have to watch my speed now. In UAE, you are allowed to drive at 20km/hour over the posted speed limit – there are signs to tell you that: 100km/hour means 120km/hour; 60 km/hour really means 80km/hour.

Etihad Towers - Abu Dhabi
I miss those friendly souls that used to drive right up behind me flashing their lights in a greeting: to get the #$%# out of their way. They usually wanted to drive even faster. Now, I fear, it’s me that’s flashing.

There are no mosques close by, so no haunting Call to Prayer to rouse me from my sleep anymore – it’s back to the CBC Eye Opener (morning radio).

At least it’s sunny. Calgary is one of Canada’s sunniest cities, not that I’m laying in the yard sunbathing. As we left Abu Dhabi, I packed my sandals for shipment and put on socks and shoes. Carol said: “Say goodbye to your feet. You won’t be seeing them for a while”. And it’s true – I had trouble wearing sandals a year ago, now my feet are striped from the sun. But, it’s fading quickly.

There are few crazy buildings in Calgary. We have the impressive Bow Building and the delightfully controversial Peace Bridge. But Abu Dhabi and Dubai are architects’ playgrounds, where outrageous, spectacular buildings abound.

Camels Return from  - Al Dhafra Festival Beauty Contest
Al Dhafra Camel Beauty Contest video link
We’ll never see UAE service again – driving up to a hotel to have the doors opened for you, and your car whisked away. I remember an event some years ago. A colleague and I checked into a big hotel in Abu Dhabi – I went for breakfast a couple of days later and my colleague didn’t show. I walked to the desk and asked if there was a house phone I could use. ‘Why?’ the server said.
‘Oh, I’m looking for my friend.’
‘I’ll call him for you;’ she said and she did. I didn’t give her his name, room number or anything… She just knew from serving us breakfast the day before.


But, apart from all the wonderful friends we made there, if Carol has a thing about elephants, I’ll miss the camels.


New Presidential Palace - Abu Dhabi

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back Bob! Caroline and I enjoyed your posts... great adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome home Bob and Carol from your terrific adventure. I look forward to coffee together at your convenience.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will miss your UAE and travel blogs. I've traveled vicariously through you guys and loved every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent work Bob, entertaining, but much more importantly balanced and very informative. Thanks you, thank you, for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

    My best to you and Carol for a long-term continuation of your "charmed" life!

    ReplyDelete